Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I never knew it would feel so good to come back for a bit

So - I am a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, a women's music fraternity. And now that I'm gradumacated I've been a member of the Alum chapter for the past 7 years. We thought (ok, I thought) it would be fun to put together a musicale for our end of the year meeting. No stress, just fun. So today I went to the home of one of the lovely SAI's to rehearse and pick out a couple of songs.

Side note - this SAI was my group piano teacher at Iowa and I'm sure the only way I passed Group II after my horrendous in my head keychange of the Star Spangled Banner was because I was an SAI and she was our advisor...

Anyway....

So I picked out a few songs to try out from college. Then she started playing and I started singing. And it was awesome amazing and better than I could have ever expected! It felt so good. Kind of like pulling out an old dusty toy you haven't played with since you were a kid and playing with it again for the first time and realizing it was just as fun as it ever was. There were no grades, no professors bringing me down or stress - just the piano, the music and my voice. All for fun - nothing else, purely for the joy of singing and making music.

It's taken nearly a decade, but I sang for the pure love of singing and music. Man, it felt great! And the cool part is that I wasn't half bad! Sure a few of those high A's didn't pop out like they used to, and my phrasing was lacking majorly....but you know, it's awesome what a few years growing up can do to your voice.

Aaron asked me when the last time was I actually sang. Like, sang for real. I've done a few weddings here and there - but that's not when I pull out the opera/classical voice, that's for sure. So I thought about it, and the sad thing is, I don't remember when. My guess was for that senior recital picture below.

So - what is it you haven't done in a long time that you should dust off and try again??

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hey! I'd love to hear you sing again! My thing to do again would be skating. It has been SO LONG and I never thought I wouldn't be doing it, but it's been forever. I need to go sometime for the heck of it! :)

Kasey said...

Singing for sure! I haven't done it since HS 10 years ago. I always think this is the year I take some voice lessons and get into some musicals or sing in church, but I never do. Mmmm, maybe this is the year.