Monday, March 03, 2008

Obsessing....



We finally had the time to rent a few movies over the weekend:



Elizabeth - The Golden Age
Not too bad - but my history stinks, so was more than a little confused. However, it was beautiful shot, amazing costumes/hair/makeup that made up for the weird storytelling. And it's also hard when the first movie is one of my all time favorites - so this would have had to blow me away.

Eastern Promises

OK - you got me at naked Viggo Mortenson in a sauna room brawl. That's right ladies, he lets it all hang out. However, instead of the "Woah, Baby" I was expecting, I was more interested in the fight and kinda worried he was going to hurt, well, himself, if you know what I'm saying. But besides the awesome fight scene, this movie had enough twists and turns to keep me interested.

Once

Oh God, I'm completely obsessing over this movie right now (thus the title of the blog). I heard the "Falling Slowing" song quite awhile ago and was astounded by the loveliness.....then heard it again on the Oscars and realized I need to see this movie now! I've watched it twice today. Thankfully the Irish accents are strong enough that I don't think Rhys heard the F-bombs. What a great love story and the music just kills me... I think I got my crying quota in. Not because it's sad, more because really good chords and progressions make me cry. It's been that way since I was a kid and probably why I majored in music. He turns a phrase and I burst into tears. It's crazy.

And so today I sat down at my keyboard and finally sang again - I forget that I'm a musician sometimes. Maybe tonite I'll break out the guitar.

So - out of all these movies, ONCE has to be on your list. Go out now, get it, order it on On Demand - just watch it and love the music.

And if you really like it - get the soundtrack - and check out The Frames, Glen's band which is also going on my list of downloads/use Aaron's Best Buy gift certificate for....heh....

2 comments:

kassidi bridge said...

Oh my gosh that's so funny. I finally took my guitar out again and started playing because of that song. All afternoon I was figuring out the chords, to Falling Slowly...it's such an amazing song! Today I figured out the chords to If you want me, and If your mind's made up! Definitely one of my obsessions lately!

Kristen said...

ooh! can you email me the chords - It's been so long since I've played, I feel like phoebe from friends "this is old lady hands, this is bear claw, and this one is chicken foot..."

If your minds made up is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time - that thing is in my top5 of all time.

So - email me kassidi!