Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I love you Abby




Yesterday my parents had to put my dog, Abby, to sleep. She had a growth on her leg that burst open and the doctor said they would have to amputate. That on top of liver cancer and congestive heart failure, we had to put her down. She would have been 13 years old on April 9th.
I had asked for a dog on my birthday and Christmas lists for years and years, and finally, as a junior in high school I got what I wanted! Since I left for college she stayed with mom and dad and because they bonded so much, I couldn't take her back with me when I was finally done with school. She was such a comfort to my dad when he was home sick for all his surgeries and recoveries. They were best friends.
And now she's gone and we're heartbroken. But we know she is running free and without pain in the soccer field of the sky. Over the summer we will head out to scatter her ashes on her favorite place, "The Field". Anytime she got out that's where she ran to. Dad let her run there every night despite wet and cold, he got her out there.
Abby loved popcorn, cheese, peanut butter, apple cores and anything else anyone would feed her from the table. She was very adament that all attention went to her and would bark like crazy every time anyone hugged mom or talked to her on the phone. She was a sweet and naughty puppy and grew into a sweet and loving dog. Rhys adored her and whenever I called Nana and Papa on the phone he would say, "No, I want Abby." So Mom or Dad would get her to bark for him on the phone so they could chat.
These pics were taken last summer, but I think they are the epitome of that great relationship. We love you and miss you already, Abby. I'm not sure how to explain this to Rhys, but he will especially miss you.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh this is so sad. Abby sounds like she was a great dog. My fam's dog Bobby is on his way out, too. Pets totally become just as part of a family as a brother or sister. So hard.

Kristen said...

The worst part that Rhys now calls every big dog he sees, "Abby". He never did that before, they were always "Woof Woofs". It's like he already knows she's gone? I haven't told him yet, we'll wait til we go back to Omaha again in 2 weeks.