Sunday, January 13, 2008

A sick kid will totally harsh your mellow


Things are not better. In fact, they are worse. The nurse warned me that the day after surgery was the best (he was awesome) but now each day is getting suckier and suckier for Rhys.


Here's what's going on:


  • The scabs are getting thicker, and he can hardly talk

  • He is tired of drinking all the time

  • Drinking all the time makes him pee in his pants

  • He gets sad when he pees in his pants

  • Poops are also super gross since the most substantial food he has had for 2 days is cheese and jello

  • Did I mention he is sad?

  • When he does talk it sounds like he's a munchkin with 30 marshmellows stuck in his cheeks

  • He's spiked a low grade fever

  • He has told me some of the things that happened to him during the surgery (ie the clamp things they put on his mouth to stretch it "like this" and they touched his face, he acts it out for me, on me) and I'm pretty sure he's not fibbing.

  • It is possible he was awake for some of this? Is that what I get for asking the anesthesisiologist if he was good?

  • His swollen lips and sores in the sides of his mouth

  • He hates his medicine

  • He just woke up crying and wouldn't let me pick him up, he's so sad

  • When he drinks sometimes it shoots out his nose and he gets very sad and confused

  • My happiest boy in the world is sad


Send prayers and happy thoughts our way. I can hardly take this anymore. I know this will help in the long run, but I kind of want to punch his doctor in the face.


PS - His nurse in recovery gave me the title of this post.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Oh man, that sounds awful. Poor little guy. And poor mama, too. He was in our prayer over breakfast just now. :)

And your recovery nurse is a freakin genius. I'm totally going to use her line as soon as I possiblly can.

Jessica McCoy said...

Aw...prayers and happy thoughts!

I had to laugh a little that your recovery nurse said that. Sounds like she's got the 420 thing down.

Too bad these don't come in kids' sizes! http://24046.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/I-Will-Harsh-Your-Mellow-black-1117803

Kristen said...

Thanks ladies. He's doing better this morning, but just gets worse as the day goes on. Maybe today it will be better? And Jessica, that T-shirt is amazing!!!

Kristen said...

Oh - and in reference. In recovery, ever time we mentioned drinking juice, rhys would start crying again. So we had just settled him down from my latest suggestion, the nurse came by and said, "Are you ready for some juice?" and Rhys lost it again. She goes, "Oh - I just totally harshed your mellow!" She was in her late 50s, with long grey hair in a braid. I had to actually look it up on wikipedia to see where the heck it came from, I had never heard it before! Turns out it's an "English idiom." Sweet.

Kate said...

This may be the WORST age to have this done! So sorry Rhys!!! He's old enough to know, but to young to really understand. I'm so sorry........poor little guy. He'll be better soon (but not soon enough for mom.) Hang in there you guys!